songshow plus worship presentation software
Setting up and using the browser based Mobile Control for SongShow Plus
The Mobile Control for SongShow Plus is designed to make use of the browser on your mobile devices such as iPods, iPads and phones to remotely control many aspects of SongShow Plus. In order to use this feature you need to have your SongShow Plus system (the Host) setup and have access to certain information about the Host system to control it from your mobile device (the Client).
The Host system and your wireless device(s) (the Client) must have access to the same network. In most cases this is accomplished using a wired network with a wireless access point connected to it to provide network access for your wireless devices. The Host system does not have to have a wireless connection. Using a wired network connection for the Host system will likely reduce latency and improve response times when controls are invoked.
Response times may vary depending on the speed of your wireless network and firewall settings.
NOTE: Ad-Hoc or Point to Point wireless connections directly to a Host system have not been tested and are not recommended.
Setup for your Host System
The Host system must have an unlocked, Professional version of the October 2010 Release (preferably March 2011 or later) of SongShow Plus installed on it. Setup of the Mobile Control on the Host will require administrative access to launch the SSP Utilities Panel.
1. Click on Start > Programs > SongShow Plus > Utilities to open the SSP Utilities panel.
2. Select the Mobile Control Settings option.
3. In the Mobile Control panel, make sure the Enabled box is check marked.
4. *Do Not Enter an IP Address* Click the Default Settings button and leave all of the default selections as they are.
You should not need to make any changes unless you are running IIS or other HTTP server on the Host system. Contact your IT Specialist if you are not sure. If there is something else using port 80 on the Host system, enter an open port of your choosing in the Port field - 8080 is a common choice. If you are unsure about this, contact your IT Specialist.
5. Click Save to save and close the Mobile Control configuration panel.
6. Close the Utilities Panel and launch SongShow Plus. SongShow Plus must be running to be accessible via Mobile Control.
You will need to know the IP address of the Host system but you do not need to enter it in the setup unless you have more than one network card installed in the Host system. If you do not know the IP address, you can find it by opening a command prompt on the Host system and entering ipconfig /all. The displayed information should contain the assigned IP address. If you have trouble finding this information, talk to your IT Specialist.
NOTE: If your Host system or network has a Firewall enabled you may need to allow SongShow Plus access for proper operation. You should be prompted to allow the first time you enable the feature but if you disallow or cancel when prompted by your firewall, you may not be prompted again. You can verify access by opening your firewall settings and making sure SSP is allowed inbound and outbound communication through the firewall. If you are not familiar with this, talk to your IT Specialist.
Setup for your mobile device(s)
Setup for your mobile device(s) is pretty simple. The most important thing is to make sure your mobile device has wireless access to the network that the Host system is connected to.
The SongShow Plus Mobile control allows multiple devices to connect at once allowing multiple users to control different aspects of SongShow Plus at the same time.
1. Make sure that SongShow Plus is up and running on the Host system.
2. Access the browser on your mobile control device.
3. Enter the IP address of the Host system. If you had to assign a custom port number, that will need to be entered here as well. See the examples below:
Default configuration – IP address
Custom port configuration – IP address plus port number
4. Once you have the correct IP address entered you should be at the SongShow Plus Mobile Control main menu. See the example below:
SongShow Plus Mobile Control main menu
5. From the SongShow Plus Mobile Control main menu you can select the appropriate link to the specific device controls you want to access.
Using the SongShow Plus Mobile Control
There will be additional feature review posts to the forum to expound on the use of the SongShow Plus Mobile Control, however, listed below are the controls available with a short description.
- Current Program - Direct access to program currently running in the Primary Display.
- Songs - Direct access to the songs database for display on the Primary Display.
- Stage Monitor - Use the tablet as a mobile stage monitor. Only text is supported on the Tablet Stage Monitor. The Message features in the Improv Collection are an overlay which is not supported in the Mobile Stage Monitor.
- All Media Items - Access to all media with search capability.
- Background Improv - Direct access to the remote control of Background Improv. Background Improv must be applied in Display Properties in SongShow Plus for this to work.
- Color Improv - Direct access to the remote control of Color Improv. Color Improv must be applied in Display Properties in SongShow Plus for this to work.
Mobile Control Desktop Control A word about devices The SongShow Plus Mobile Control was developed around the iPod/iPad platforms and the Safari browser that they use. Several Android based devices have also been used successfully with the Mobile Control feature of SongShow Plus. (MC001)
Other devices of similar format and/or using different browsers may or may not work at this time.
The items labeled “Tablet” are for the iPad or other devices with a similar size/resolution. The items labeled “Mobile” are for the iPhone/iPod or other devices with a similar size/resolution. The Desktop link is for testing purposes only.
A word about devices
The SongShow Plus Mobile Control was developed around the iPod/iPad platforms and the Safari browser that they use. Several Android based devices have also been used successfully with the Mobile Control feature of SongShow Plus.